tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 14:32:17 1997

Re: jItlhIj

: >From: Voragh
: >: >From: [email protected]
: >: >DIloraQ ghunchu'wI' jevaD jIchID 'ej jItlhIj
: >:
: >: *ugh* jIpar.  {*Dloraq*vaD *ghunchu'wI'vaD je jIchID} yIja'.
: >: "conjunction"Daq DIp moHaq yIlanQo'.  *Voragh*, vay' ja'pu''a' *Okrand*?
: >:
: >: ~mark
: >
: >*ugh* indeed. AFAIK, noun suffixes can only be used on nouns and pronouns,
: >which are a subset of nouns. {je} is called a conjunction by Okrand, not a
: >noun. Klingon grammarians probably just class it among the {chuvmey}. (I'll
: >have to check TKD when I get home.) I searched the entire corpus, in fact,
: >and could find no instance of ANY conjunction taking any suffix at all. It
: >was an interesting idea, though.
:
: Well, they can also go on adjectival verbs [...]

But adjectival verbs are used with nouns, producing noun phrases--yet
another subset of nouns.
You can say:
   SuvwI'vaD nISwI' vInob.       "I gave my disruptor to the warrior.
or
   ghaHvaD nISwI' vInob.         "I gave my disruptor to him/her.
or
   SuvwI' SuDvaD nISwI' vInob.   "I gave my disruptor to the green warrior."
using an adjectival verb. This is really (SuvwI' SuD)vaD nISwI' vInob -- a
noun phrase.

Adjectival verbs used without nouns are predicates. You can say {SuD
nISwI'wIj} "My disruptor is green," but you cannot say {*SuDvaD vInob}.  "I
gave it to the green one" would be something like {SuDwI'vaD vInob} -- using
a -wI' noun -- or even {SuDbogh vay'vaD vInob} (yechh!) -- another noun
phrase: (SuDbogh vay')vaD vInob.

BTW Grammarians, can you just drop the head noun and just say *{SuDboghvaD
vInob}? I don't think so, but then I've never been comfortable using -bogh.
The only example of -bogh used without a noun/pronoun I could find is
{Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'} "I find no match for what you have just said" --
which is that problematic KCD .wav audio file.

: MO says that the suffixes go on the NOUNS (so put them there) and the
: conjunction follows the nouns it joins (so put it there).  By following
: that rule, you get {*Dloraq*vaD *ghunchu'wI'*vaD je}.
:
: ~mark

So, I agree with you after all. {-vaD} goes on nouns of whatever type:
simple noun, pronoun, or noun phrase. It doesn't go on conjunctions.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level