tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 07 13:13:46 1997

RE: KLBC: Words for assassin & blade

ghItlh SuStel

>> perhaps the "assassin's knife" was originally a knife >belonging
>> to a warrior named 'aSaSIn or something like it?
>
>Careful!  That's (more or less) the *English* word's >derivation.  In
Klingon,
>the word we're considering is {qutluch} "assassin's >knife."  It *is*
possible
>that there was some renowned killer named {qutluch}, >and that this was the
>sort of knife he used, but this is really just making things >up.  We don't
>*know* where the word comes from.

teHqu' - jIHvaD mu'ghom naQ vIchenmoHlI' 'ej DaHjajmo' *new words listing*
*qutluch entry* vIleghbe'.  jItlhIj. 'ach - Just because a weapon is often
used by an assassin does not mean that a word exists in tlhIngan Hol meaning
"assassin".

The central question here seems to be this - Is there a need for a word
meaning "assassin"? My view is that there is no need; there are strong
arguments in favor of such a word, but equally strong arguments that there is
none. We must err on the side of conservatism even as we put forth varying
interpretations for review.

I have always felt that if there is any way around the issue at all, we do not
require any more words from Okrand. *tool* is an example of a serious lack
that needs to be filled, but *assassin* clearly is not.

Back to archive top level