tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 08 20:16:54 1997

Re: RE: KLBC: Words for assassin & blade

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 13:19:52 -0700 (PDT)  Neal Schermerhorn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh SuStel
>
> >> perhaps the "assassin's knife" was originally a knife >belonging
> >> to a warrior named 'aSaSIn or something like it?
> >
> >Careful!  That's (more or less) the *English* word's >derivation.  In
> Klingon,
> >the word we're considering is {qutluch} "assassin's >knife."  It *is*
> possible
> >that there was some renowned killer named {qutluch}, >and that this was the
> >sort of knife he used, but this is really just making things >up.  We don't
> >*know* where the word comes from.
>
> teHqu' - jIHvaD mu'ghom naQ vIchenmoHlI' 'ej DaHjajmo' *new words listing*
> *qutluch entry* vIleghbe'.  jItlhIj. 'ach - Just because a weapon is often
> used by an assassin does not mean that a word exists in tlhIngan Hol meaning
> "assassin".

Again, I'm still working on an update. The entry which will
appear Real Soon Now(tm) is:

qutluch - type of hand weapon (n) {from the Addendum of TKD}
[According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia, this is a weapon used
by an assassin.] {TKW page 103, picture on 102}

> The central question here seems to be this - Is there a need for a word
> meaning "assassin"? My view is that there is no need; there are strong
> arguments in favor of such a word, but equally strong arguments that there is
> none. We must err on the side of conservatism even as we put forth varying
> interpretations for review.
>
> I have always felt that if there is any way around the issue at all, we do not
> require any more words from Okrand. *tool* is an example of a serious lack
> that needs to be filled, but *assassin* clearly is not.

jIQochbe'chu'. I really want both "tool" and "dance". I suspect
Okrand will tell us that "tool" is {nuH}, but I'd love a
separate word for it.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level