tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 05 11:28:46 1997

Re: Sojtaj*

Weaver SE wrote:

> Hovjaj 97428.15 ja' SI'IluD:
>
> >ja' Hovjaj
> >>>>
> >{SojchonnaQHom*}, "little food spear" ... hmmm, do tlhInganpu' USE
> >forks??
> >Note: chonnaQ (n) - spear [KCD]
> ><<<

     No, I don't think they do use forks, which is why I used <taj>.
If a Klingon was forced to consider using a tool to eat with, it would
seem that the most convenient and obvious tool would be his dagger.
"Fork" is perhaps a bad translation of what I meant, but I couldn't
find a word for "tool".

> ><chonnaQ> luchenmoH bIH <chon> <naQ> je' 'e' Daqaw
> >toH <SojnaQ> lo'lu' 'e' vIchup
> >lururchuq qechmey

     This would mean "food-stick".  Sounds more like a candy bar than
a fork. :)

> #5 We need to add "fork" on the wish list at the qep'a'.

     No we don't, any more than we need "horse" on the wish list.
Both are alien objects that do not occur naturally in a Klingon
habitat.  Using the alien word for them, or a descriptive construct,
is perfectly acceptable.  We could use a general word for "tool"
though.

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |