tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 04 12:43:07 1997

Re: KLBC: yIn QaDwIj

Q'ISto'va wrote:

> jatlh SuStel:
>
> > > Can I use  <yIn QaDwIj> as parasite? A "dryer of life" meaning sucker or
> > > drainer of life?
> >
> > The Short Answer: No.
>
> *yInSopwI'*'e' DuHlaHpu''a'?
> (Could <<yInSopwI'>> (life-eater) be possible?)

     It's still a hindsight word.  It could mean "carnivore".  That's a
much more obvious meaning.  For that matter, the first one could mean,
"towel". :)

> qech vIparHa'
> (I like the idea)

     I kinda like it too, it has a poetic flair, but it needs a poetic
context.  If you put it in a context where you are explaining what it
means, then it's ok.  Look at some Old Norse poetry - "iron-tooth
raven" and "skull cleaving battle witch" are not very intuitive terms
for a spear and an axe, but in context it works.

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |