tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 03 10:57:49 1997

RE: KLBC-First Time

ja' SuStel:
>> As I understand it, Clipped Klingon drops only affixes, not entire words.
>
>I once made the mistake of saying this, and was quickly shown the error of my
>ways.  Sometimes words ARE left out of Clipped Klingon.  Consider {chuyDaH},
>clipped from {chuyDaH yIlaQ}.

That's specifically mentioned as an example of a *command*.  TKD page 73:
    "When the object noun is critical, and what is to be done
    with that noun is obvious (or should be obvious) to the
    listener, that noun itself may serve as the command."

>  There are also the clipped questions we've
>heard.  In these cases it's possible that the question word acts like a
>pronoun,...

Okrand even said that they do.  (You're the one who reported it!)

> but that still doesn't do much to explain {nuqDaq puchpa'}.

Yeah, {nuqDaq puchpa'} is a puzzlement.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level