tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 15:38:42 1997

RE: KLBC-First Time

jatlh ghunchu'wI':

> Kenneth Kraft writes:
> ><Mike pongwIj> may be acceptable Clipped Klingon...
>
> I'm not all that inclined to say things that "may be acceptable".  I want to
> be understood; thus I will endeavor to say things that *are* acceptable.
>
> But I've never seen any evidence that {Mike pongwIj} *would* be acceptable.
> As I understand it, Clipped Klingon drops only affixes, not entire words.

I once made the mistake of saying this, and was quickly shown the error of my
ways.  Sometimes words ARE left out of Clipped Klingon.  Consider {chuyDaH},
clipped from {chuyDaH yIlaQ}.  There are also the clipped questions we've
heard.  In these cases it's possible that the question word acts like a
pronoun, but that still doesn't do much to explain {nuqDaq puchpa'}.

However, I agree.  I advocate saying things which *are* correct, rather than
which *might* be correct.  You also *might* be talking nonsense.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level