tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 07:07:12 1997

Re: KLBC-First Time

>Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 23:16:36 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>[email protected] on behalf of Kenneth Traft wrote:

>> ********** from the Beginner's Column  ********
>> Introductions -- My name is ...
>>
>> There are several ways of asking and stating your name.  The most common
>are:
>>
>> ponglIj nuq?  (What's your name?)
>> ponglIj 'oH nuq'e'?  (What is your name? -- formal usage)
>
>Both of these are absolutely correct.  I would also like to add
>
>nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'?
>
>However, Glen's notes are a little biased towards making a point; let me
>rewrite them a little more objectively (I think):
>
>ponglIj nuq? (What's your name? -- Clipped Klingon)
>ponglIj 'oH nuq'e' / nuq 'oH ponglIj'e' (What's your name?)
>
>The second line may be the more formal, but this doesn't mean that the Clipped
>Klingon is the standard.  In fact, the second line's sentences are Standard
>Klingon.

I'm not 100% sure that "ponglIj nuq?" qualifies as Clipped Klingon.  It may
be a bit less formal than the other, but it could be argued (as I think
Krankor has said) that "nuq" is acting as the predicate here, as the
pronoun does in "tlhIngan jIH."  "nuq" is also one of the chuvmey, it may
function the same.

>> You can also probably say:
>>
>> chay' bIpong'egh?  (How do you call yourself?)
>
>pe'vIl jIpong'egh!
>
>This *might* work, but I'd rather go for something we've seen and *know* that
>it works.

*Shrug*.  I think that argument smacks of being perverse.  To be sure,
while "chay' bIpong'egh" (or the similarly nice-sounding "chay' Daponglu'")
isn't slavish copying of English, it's still slavish copying of French
(comment vous appelez-vous), resp. Hebrew ('eich qor'im l'cha).  Still,
it's a little more verb-centered, isn't it?

~mark

Back to archive top level