tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 15:11:59 1997

RE: jajlo'

jatlh Qov:

> >> QaghmeywIj Daja'mo' jIHvaD lI'qu'.
>
> >qatlh QaghmeylIj ja'pu' ghunchu'wI'? SoHvaD QaghmeylIj 'angnIS,
> >'ach QaghmeylIj ja'chugh ghunchu'wI', yajlaHbe'ba' QaghmeylIj.
>
> mu'tlheghwIj vImugh: They [the stories] are very useful to me because you
> reported my errors. qatlh bIbep, charghwI'?  mu'vam vIlo' net tuch?  vay'
> vIlIj'a'. yIQIj.

QaghmeylIj Daja'chugh, vaj QaghmeylIjvaD bIjatlh.  'e' chup charghwI'.

Every single instance of {ja'} with an object used by Okrand has had the
person being told something as the object.  The thing said is not the object.
Perhaps it can take some other object, but we've never seen such a thing.  So,
if you say {QaghmeylIj Daja'mo'}, you've just said "because I tell my mistakes
(something)."

How to get around this?  Lots of ways.

{muja'mo ghaH bIQagh} "because he told me I made an error," or "because he
told me 'You erred.'"  (Also {bIQagh muja'mo' ghaH})

{jIHvaD QaghmeywIj 'angmo' ghaH} "because he showed me my errors."

> But as both ghunchu'wI' and
> charghwI' have been left in complete confusion, I concede that it didn't
> work.  va.  vItunglu'.  You know every ghuy'cha' time anyone on this lists
> attempts to use a metaphor they get shot down in flames.  Is it something
> about the language or the list?

A little of both, but I think the main problem is that we have enough trouble
*understanding* each other in Klingon, let alone starting to use metaphors!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level