tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 01 18:52:03 1997

Re: KLBC-First Time

>Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Kenneth Traft" <[email protected]>
>
>>Mike wrote:
>>Mike pongwIj
>>My name is Mike.
>
>>SuStel answered:
>>To say <something> is <something else>, you need to use a "to be"
>>construction, as described in TKD section 6.3.
>
><Mike pongwIj> may be acceptable Clipped Klingon.  I am   NOT arguing against
>the advice -- it was GOOD.  I believe the list guidelines say that formal
>Klingon should be used here.  From a "beginning standpoint", I believe it
>should be mentioned that Clipped Klingon is an acceptable aspect of tlhIngan
>Hol.

Good point.  It's good to encourage people to use formal unclipped tlhIngan
Hol, but we shouldn't neglect other aspects.

>>SuStel also answered:
>>There's another, more complicated way to say this.  I'll just show you:
>>jIHvaD *Mike* ponglu'
>>I am called "Mike."
>
><jIHvaD Mike ponglu'>  appears to be incorrect (TKD 4.2.5). I believe it
>should be Mike vIponglu'  i.e. I'm called Mike. I often forget the required
>prefix when using <-lu> because I keep thinking (one does).  I don't believe
>there is canon to support jIHvaD *Mike* ponglu'.

"... 'oHvaD Qo'noS ponglu'" is canon, I believe.  Precise quote, someone?

>********** from the Beginner's Column  ********
>Introductions -- My name is ...
>
>There are several ways of asking and stating your name.  The most common are:
>
>ponglIj nuq?  (What's your name?)
>ponglIj 'oH nuq'e'?  (What is your name? -- formal usage)

I don't know why I prefer the ordering of "nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'?"  The
ordering with "nuq'e'" is also demonstrably canon.

>chay' bIpong'egh?  (How do you call yourself?)

Idiomatic, and who'se to say that's how Klingon does it, but frankly the
same could be said of any of the other methods.  This one has the
"advantage" (to my mind) of not being a slavish imitation of English, so
hey, go for it.

>To which the answer would be:
>
>be'tor jIpong'egh.  (I call myself B'Etor.)

Interesting handling of the ditransitive.  I'm not 100% sure of it myself.

>Canon shows a definite and consistant <nuq> placement in the "subject"
>position of a sentence for these types of questions:
>
>THE KLINGON DICTIONARY
>qaStaH nuq jay'  --  What the #$*@ is happening?
>Duj ghoStaH nuq  --  What is coming toward the ship?
>nughoStaH nuq  --  What is coming toward us?
>
>CONVERSATIONAL KLINGON
>Dochvam nuq  --  What is this?
>Daqvam nuq  --  What is this place?
>pa'Daq qaStaH nuq  --  What's happening over there?

Isn't there also "nuq 'oH mI'lIj'e'?"

~mark

Back to archive top level