tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 01 16:11:33 1997

Re: Klingon for the Galactic Traveller

>Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Robyn Stewart" <[email protected]>
>
>Voragh quoted Lawrence:
>
>|The book is entitled: KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER.
>|
>|Here's the blurb that appears in the catalog:
>|
>|"Didn't get a chance to buckle down and study the Klingon dictionary
>|before your trip to Qo'noS? Don't worry, here's a user-friendly
>|version to help |out on that next vacation. Whether one needs to buy
>|extra sunblock or order the gagh [sic] extra-lively, this is the
>|book to have in hand. It may not teach Hamlet's soliloquy in the
>|original Klingon, but this translation guide is just the ticket for
>|galactic travelers."
>
>Is anyone else's anticipation of this book tinged with mild dread?
>Certainly it will contain some useful new words, and some amusing but
>useless ones.  Probably it will answer a few long argued idiom
>questions, like "Where do you live" and how to give directions. This
>is good.

I'm dreading. :)  Okrand said of this book, off the record, that he was
sure it was going to upset a lot of people.  I found it very reassuring,
though, that he did not, when questioned, say, "Oh yeah, you're
*definitely* one of the people who'se going to hate this" (which, honestly,
I'd feared).  He couldn't say that I wasn't going to be upset either (he
remembered he was dealing with some stuff we-the-Klingon-community had been
talking about, but couldn't promise we'd like the results).  Yeah, I'm kind
of afraid he'll introduce some stuff into the language that I *really*
don't want to see... but hey, we already decided we were using HIS language
and not making up our own, so we have to take our chances.

Besides, it's a risk.  Exhilarating, isn't it?

~mark

Back to archive top level