tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 21:42:04 1997

Re: KLBC: higher numbers

On Stardate 97572.5 muHwI' wrote:

> I want to say high numbers like stardates or a year.
> mImey tIn vIjatlh vIneH. Hov poH DIS lurur bIH.

Hmmm . . . I wonder if {tIn} can refer to any magnitude, or just the size of
an object?

You forgot the noun conjunction:

Hov poH, DIS joq rur bIH.
They resemble stardates and/or a year.

I removed {lu-} because, although I don't know what prefix to use when using a
conjunction like {joq}, I DO know that either one of those nouns can easily be
plural and not change the meaning.  So I'll do that.

> In english you can say:
>        one thousand five hundred and twenty
> or
>        fifteen hundred twenty
> or
>        fifteen twenty
> You can also do in french or in dutch...
> How about Klingon?

We've seen Okrand name dates several times, and each time he simply reads out
the digits.

1997
tera' DIS wa' Hut Hut Soch

Stardate 97574.8
Hov poH Hut Soch vagh Soch loS vI' chorgh.

When including the decimal point in such date-namings, just use the word {vI'}
as the decimal point.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian