tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 21:41:36 1997

Re: KLBC: Introduction to the Black Fleet

[email protected] on behalf of Robyn Stewart wrote:
> SuStel wrote:
> > [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> >> lutDaj 'oH lutvam'e'.
> >> tam logh.
> >> bir logh net Sov.
> >> chuSmo' SuvwI' yIn 'e' wIlIjlaw'
> >It took me a minute to parse this, but it's very good!
>
> I thought it an error. If you translate it literally you can come up
> with: "Because a warrior's life is noisy we forget it." I think it is
> the noiselessness of space Hat considers we forget. But this is a
> sentence-as-object construction so the "it" cannot refer to the lines
> above, has to refer to "because a warrior's life is noisy." I don't
> like the idea of having a sentence fragment as the object of a
> sentence as object. So yIn has to be interpreted as a verb, here. I
> get something like: "We seem to forget that they/she/he/it live(s)
> because a warrior/warriors is/are noisy." SuStel, jImISchugh yIQIj.

Why can't the {'e'} refer to the previous lines?  Azetbur said {'e' neHbe'
vavoy}, in reference to someone else's sentence.

"Because a warrior's life is noisy, we seem to forget that space is silent and
cold."  No, not a literal translation, but that's what I see.  Hat will have
to tell us if he meant something different.

> Perhaps:
> chuSmo' SuvwI' yIn ngoDvam wIlIjlaw'.
> wIlIjlaw' chuSmo' SuvwI' yIn.

These would also do.

> >> lIjlaHbe'chu' yo' qIj vajpu'.
>
> > {lIjlaHbe'chu'} "perfectly cannot forget." This is pretty weird.
> > Even reading the English, I'm not sure what you're after. I think
> > you mean this:
>
> I have no trouble with it.  I would translate it: The warriors of the
> Black Fleet are utterly unable to forget.  I might recommend
> lulIjlaHbe'chu' - are utterly unable to forget *it*, but it depends
> what HoDHat means.

Yes, the state of perfection indicated by {-chu'} need not be the *intended*
action.  If Hat meant "utterly forgot," this his sentence is fine.

> >> loghDaq QIch tu'lu'be'.
> > That's an interesting way to put it.
>
> "There is no speech in space?"  qatlh Daj?

In English, one usually hears "There is no sound in space."  And since we
don't have "sound" in our Klingon vocabulary, I thought this a nice way to do
it.  Besides, I was thinking of this much more literally and with a
verb-emphasis:

loghDaq jatlhbe'lu'
One does not speak in space.

or