tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 19:39:43 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Robyn Stewart" <[email protected]>
>
>I also heavily anti-recommend memorizing words by cute associations.
>It works at first, but then you have the cute association permanently
>stuck to the word, and it takes you twice as long to think anything,
>because you can't help the mnemonic as well as the real meaning
>coming through your brain.

I dunno, I find it sometimes works.  Long enough to get the word in your
head properly anyway.  Choose the weapon that works for you, I guess.

>nol - knoll - sound [of] bell signifying death

Actually, that's "knell."  "Knoll" is a small hill (as in the grassy one in
Dallas)

~mark

Back to archive top level