tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 16:53:41 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

People seem to want a list of joke words or possible joke words or
words with silly mnemonics.  Here's an off the top of the head list
of the ones that occur to me.  It includes ones that I have noticed
and ones other people have pointed out to me.  If we post such a
list it should NOT include the meanings of the words, so people can't
use the list to make their own dictionaries.

I also heavily anti-recommend memorizing words by cute associations.
It works at first, but then you have the cute association permanently
stuck to the word, and it takes you twice as long to think anything,
because you can't help the mnemonic as well as the real meaning
coming through your brain.

Klingon word - word reminiscent of - explanation

baS - bash - sound that metal makes when you hit it
bagh - bag - item sold with twist tie fasteners
nol - knoll - sound [of] bell signifying death
mol - mole - animal that digs
nop - NOP - assembler instruction that represents no operation
mul - mule - animal known for being stubborn
qul - cool - opposite
qaw - cow - female of a species known for remembering
pIw - pheew - traditional sound said when you smell something bad.
Saw - sure - woman's response
nay - nay - man's response
nov - nova - new
QonoS - chronos - the journal as a record of time
waq - whack - think Krushchev
DaS - das Boot - This one's been doen to death.
'IQ - ick - not a happy way to be
qIl - kill - synonyms in some uses
qop - cop - arresting officer
leS - less -doing less
lom - loam - earth to earth
tIq - tick - ticker
ya - Yar - The blond security officer from TNG
mIy - me - self boosting
yuch - yuck - opposite
lab - lob - throw gently
bey - bay - wolf/dog howl sound
tIv - fesTIVities - you're supposed to enjoy them
jaw - jaw - slang meaning talk, in English
tI - ti - Hawaiian plant
DIr - deer - animal hunted for its skin
bang - bang - slang word for 'have sex'
puq - puke - babies do this a lot ghu - goo - sound attributed to
English baby babbling mut - mutt - animal of mixed breed
'ampas - AMPAS - Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Something -
association knows usually as "The Academy" that gives honorees gold
statuettes called "academy awards" for execellence in moviemaking.
mung - monkey - controversial point in Darwin's Origin of Species
Dung - dung - bird flying overhead
Qatlh - two of the most difficult consonants
Dal - dull
chap - chap - cracked dry skin common here
chop - chomp
bIr - sound made when cold (brr) OR drink referred to by its
temperature (cold one)
muD - mood - as in "mood lighting adds atmosphere"
tay - tie - family, cultural, societal ties
tay' - tie - tying together
Hat - hot - as in hot car or in high temperature
van'a' - Vanna White - game show model who presents awards
Hot - hot - too hot to touch
lon - lone - Cause to be alone
mob - mob - opposite
mon - moan - opposite
paw' - pow - a collision sound
HIja' - Hi & ja - words for yes in Japanese and German
loD - lord
be' - babe
'Iw - eww - sound of disgust
ghot - goat - a grown up kid
lot - Lot - man who escaped from a catastrophe in a Bible story
weQ - wick - string inside a candle
ghIr - gear - thing you change on a descent
Sap - sap - sucker
Sut - suit
toD - toad - needs kissing to be rescued from evil spell
ruv - rough - "rough justice" I think it's the name of a Western
tlham - slam - fall to the ground
joj - That o is caught between two of the tallest letters (only one
with both a riser and a descender)
joy' - Klingons take joy in this activity
jIl - Jill - Okrand's neighbour
jIp - gyp - A bad penalty can cheat a team of a goal, and cheating
will get you a penalty.
yay - yay - triumphant exclamation
HeDon - head on - a special case of the parallel course
lay' - lie - opposite
lum - loom - what deadlines do

onomatopoiea
tlhutlh
tlhuH
'oy'
'aw'
ghagh
voQ
HIq (a hiccup)
tlhup
ghup

probably just me
moD - There is a band called Depeche Mode and depeche means hurry in
French.
tut - Tutankhamen - king of an ancient culture that didn't use
columns, but which Qov studied in the same grade as she studied Greek
history.
Sab - Saab - car my friend once bought for a dollar that
turned out to be worth at least ten times that
tuch - reminds me of hand lettered signs on grade 1 art projects: "DO
NOT TUCH"

I'm sure if you read through the word list and think of the
pronuncation in English and in Klingon of each entry, you'll find
plenty more.  Better to just associate the sound/word with the
meaning than to go through an intermediary, though.

Whatever.

- Qov

Back to archive top level