tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 13:29:31 1997

RE: KLBC one simple question

ghItlh SuStel:

> Now, we know that Klingons don't say "thank you."
> Michael Dorn tells us this on one of tapes.  ("'Please,'
> 'excuse me,' 'thank > you,' and the like.")  However,
> many Earth-bound Klingonists feel the need to express
> this very human sentiment.  Thus, they take the word
> and use it in the expression {qatlho'} "I thank you."

> In fact, I feel that if you're going to express gratitude
> with this word, you'd best do it in Clipped Klingon, like this:

> tlho'
> Thanks.

> I just used the noun (or the verb, it doesn't really matter)
> and said it.

> That said, I rarely, if ever, use the word myself.  Usually, I
> like to use the language as a Klingon would use it.  Often a
> good, satisfied {maj!} is quite sufficient to get the point across.

One of the primary reasons for "Thank you" in English is to
acknowledge an action. For example, when handing a weapon
to another person, it's a good idea to make sure he has hold
of it before letting go. The safety protocol I learned in the Boy
Scouts was to say either "Thank you" or "I got the durned thing"
when receiving a knife or axe.

Another reason for "Thank you" is receiving something in the
mail: the "Thank you" lets the sender know the package arrived
safely. In both of these cases, the phrase "Thank you" is polite
and functional. I would expect the Klingon to drop the polite and
be more direct with the functional.

When receiving a weapon, I would probably say <ghaj> for
"I got the durned thing" (clipped). When receiving a message
which requires acknowledgement, <jIyaj> or <jabbI'IDlIj vIHev>
may be appropriate. When acknowledgement is not required
for any reason other than politeness, a Klingon would most
likely say nothing. I would expect <tlho'> to be reserved for times
a Klingon wishes to express true gratitude, and not diluted by
the formalized uses "Thank you" is subjected to by most English
speakers.

pagh

Back to archive top level