tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 27 06:22:50 1997

Re: qep'a' loSDIchvo' jIchegh

>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Guido <[email protected]>
>
>charghwI':
>>pov qechvam. tugh juHwIj jIHDI' tavam vIlI' 'ej vI'Ij 'ej ta
>>chu' vIchenmoH 'ej vIlab. "Snail mail"vaD wIloSnISbe'. 'IjlaH
>>Hoch 'ej jatlhlaH Hoch 'ej not ta chIllu'. maj.
>
>toH, jIboHlaw'ta'DI' janglu'. DaH ngoy'bej Seqram, De'meyvam naw'laHbe'mo'
>vay', Qaybe'chugh ghaH'e'.
>
>Think of this as a secondary way of preserving that real time thrill
>experienced at qep'a'. You can send and receive audio files at
>ftp.kli.org/pub/Sounds/ and one is there right now. This fully replaces the
>KATE activity that we all enjoyed while it lasted, and was otherwise a great
>idea. Mostly typically, one would expect .wav or .au files of under 1.5
>minutes, possibly zipped, and 11.025 kHz standard, so as not to tax the
>memory of the KLI's machine or the sound system of anyone else's computer. I
>remember how d'Armond and I hacked out this problem two years ago; it was so
>much FUN! :-)

Erm, that should not work, by rights (if it does, there's a problem).  See,
when you ftp to ftp.kli.org, you can (or should be able to) upload *only*
to the /incoming directory, whence nobody (not even you) can download.
Files have to be moved out of that directory (by hand) into a more
appropriate location.  There's a *reason* for this clunky and slow by-hand
process.  Without it, ftp.kli.org becomes a free site for anyone to
distribute anything.  There's nothing to stop somebody from uploading his
hacked software archives or child-porn collection and telling his friends
where to download it (I've already found the beginnings of a
pirated-software site someone tried to put together on kli.org, as well as
a picture that would never have made it past the Paramount censors, or any
others).  I'm not sure how to do something like what you propose without
falling prey to this problem.

~mark

Back to archive top level