tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 25 10:24:35 1997

Re: vegh

According to Jarno Peschier:

> On 23 Jul 97 at 11:52, Weaver SE (Steve) wrote:
>
> > >In that case we could also use this verb to describe to someone
> > >what a person is doing during his nentay...

> > NO! This is the same "through" as the "woman walking through the
> > forest" example.
>
> I don't agree. There is a definate difference here. This is
> definately a "tunnel" of some kind, while a forest obviously isn't.

I think enough people are agreeing that {vegh} is NOT
appropriate for walking between the two rows of warriors with
painsticks that you might accept that. Any arch formed is
incidental. The point of the lines is to endure the pain, not
to pass through some sort of sporadically formed arch. {vegh}
is intended for passage through a structural opening. I can see
stretching it to describe passage through a wormhole, but I see
even this as a stretch. Stretching it further to enclude nentay
is just going too far. It really IS like going through a
forest. You pass AMONG and BETWEEN trees and warriors. You pass
THROUGH doors, windows and tunnels. While English is not the
prepositional template upon which Klingon is based, I see this
as a distinct category which seems to fit what Okrand was
describing when he separated passing through a door and passing
through a forest.

> > Wonderful English word "through"... Heh heh heh... no wonder MO
> > called it {vegh}. I love it!
>
> Alright, explain the difference to me, if you can.
> Why, let me put it differently: yIQIj jay'!

qayonmoH'a'?

> Qapla'
> peSHIr
>
> Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
>    mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
>     'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

charghwI'

Back to archive top level