tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 07:32:59 1997

Re: vegh and the nentay'

: ja' Do'val:
: >I realize that this will probably not be acceptable, since I think we
: >have established the vegh deals with physical action, but what about:
: >   SuvwI' mojmeH nentay' vegh ghaH
: >   In order to become a warrior, he went through the nentay.
:
: No.  As you said, {vegh} appears to refer to physical travel through an
: intentional opening.  The kind of "went through" you are using seems to
: be more like "endured" to me.
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

Indeed. {SIQwI'} is used in the new Skybox card S32 to explicitly refer to
the "ascendee", i.e. the recipient of pain during a nentay:

   SIQwI' lu'oy'moHmeH juppu'Daj 'oy'naQmey lo' chaH
   The Painstik is employed by friends of the recipient... S32

Two other sayings using {SIQ} "endure" may, in fact, derive from the nentay:

   'oy' DaSIQjaj
   May you endure the pain! PK

   yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ.
   To understand life, endure pain. TKW