tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 06:32:01 1997

RE: vegh and the nentay'

ja' Matt:
>I realize that this will probably not be acceptable, since I think we
>have established the vegh deals with physical action, but what about:
>
>SuvwI' mojmeH nentay' vegh ghaH
>
>In order to become a warrior, he went through the nentay.
>
>Do'val
>(Matt Whiteacre)

First off, welcome back Matt. Let's get the tlhIngan Hol Scrabble
started again!

Second, NO. {vegh} doesn't work for this at all! (IMHO). The word
"through" in this sentence means "endure" {SIQ}. This is one of the
reasons the word is {vegh}!  One doesn't go "through" a nentay like one
goes "through" a door. In my Webster's, there are 3 "through's",
Preposition, Adverb, and Adjective. There are 5 shades of the Prep., 4
for the Adv., and 3 for the Adj. (no wonder MO smiles at {vegh}).

Just for fun, let's try to write a sentence for each.

Soqra'tIS

Back to archive top level