tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 23 15:01:58 1997

Re: Other tidbits, WAS: RE: vegh

~mark wrote:
>From: Chet Braun <[email protected]>
>> And, BTW, he did seem to have fun playing.
> He did indeed.

I saw the transcript of a net interview he did on tlhIngan Hol and
after that lot, I think the KLI would be fun, yes.

> He confirmed some of our other guesses about his
> language jokes. Oh, and one thing that I mentioned to charghwI' but
> I didn't see in the new words list: "'ul" means simply
> "electricity." Not a unit of voltage or current or anything else,
> but just the noun for "electricity." This was said rather quietly;
> I think only Qov and I were talking to him at the time (it was Qov,
> right?) So there's something.

It was I.  And Marc also confirmed the suspicion of a list member
about its origin: Electronic goods sold in the United States have a
sticker on them saying "UL." (It stands for Underwriters
Laboratories and indicates that the item has passed saftey standards,
like the CSA label in Canada or the ISO one in some European
countries.)

In the same conversation Marc nodded, smiling infuriatingly, to
confirm mIQ ("deep fry") as in mIQ-Donald's french fries.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level