tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 22 14:19:24 1997

Re: DaH qep'a' vIghoS

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 13:04:32 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>
> >
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >> Can somebody tell me exactly what is the qep'a'...
> >> I know it is an annual meeting of the KLI , but what do they do there, ...?
> >
> >     Invade a hotel and talk Klingon for a week.  Classes, discussions,
> >etc.
>
> Something like that.  No pool this year, though.  Bummer.  But quite a bit
> of great discussions, sessions, just plain shooting the breeze in English
> but also casual chatting in Klingon, invading nearby restaurants, dressing
> up and scaring the children (and in my case, running after one of the
> children), playing games into the wee hours, belting out "taHjaj wo'" and
> listening to David Barron's Klingon Opera (under development), practicing
> betleH martial arts with Chet Braun/HetaQ, talking to Marc Okrand (who came
> again this time), showing off talents at the cabaret...  My, it definitely
> was fun.
>
> ~mark

All of this and more. A special moment for me came near the end
when Qov, ~mark and I got into a rather emotional conversation
whose content will remain as confidential as it was intended to
be. The remarkable part was that through tears and laughter,
the conversation remained in Klingon with very few English
words sprinkled in at times to cover weak areas of vocabulary.

This isn't just a code. We don't have to put it aside when we
have something "real" to say. It really is a language. And
while my vocabulary and quick, interactive skills with it are
clearly weaker than those of either of the other two
participants in that conversation, I felt honored to have
played my part in it.

Those of you with partners have a potential for a valuable tool
to enhance intimacy in public settings. If that thought had not
occured to you, I suspect you are missing something.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level