tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 21 12:12:35 1997

Re: vegh

voraghvo':
>I'm puzzled by this last example: does the woman actually "touch" the forest
>as she walks through it? These examples are so similar, were they used by
>Okrand at qep'a'? If so, they would seem to imply that {vegh} means to "go
>through" some sort of opening and not the more general "traverse" or
[...]

It appears the qep'a'-goers have demonstrated that objects of vegh are
things like tunnels, windows, and doors, things designed to be gone thru.
Forests and walls aren't there for us to go thru them, and of course,
neither is space, despite what Kennedy and Shatner have said. All the same,
vegh is a nice word.

Incidentally, magh has acquired quite a semantic burden as of TKW, now
connoting "reveal, indicate." This was partly odd because we have the
semimetaphorical "Her eyes betrayed sadness," but why this homophonous usage
should carry over into Klingon is funky. That's why we have (and rightly so)
separate words {chIl} and {luj} as respective translations for the
homophonous "lose". Does magh deserve a big "oh well"?

  Guido#1, leader of all Guidos
  Temporarily lacking a home page
  "Black holes are where God divided by zero."