tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 17 15:03:13 1997

Re: jIH toDwI'

ghItlh Lieven:

>I am translating my Icons on my Windows-Desktop.
>qI'meywIj vImughtaH

qI' is a verb, and can't take -mey. 'oS (represent) plus -wI' seems to work,
though.

'oSwI'meywIj DamughtaH'a'? maj!

>Can I say jIH toDwI' as Screensaver?

toD is save in the sense of rescue. jIH QanwI' as protector could be confused
as a dustcover, but considering your application, I doubt it. Degh is symbol,
that might work too.

>For Programs I said ghunghachmey...

Again, no -ghach without another verb suffix. And what exactly does that mean?
The programmed material? The act of programming? It is a little ambiguous. It
might be more accurate to say Qu' ta'wI'mey, and even though the English
translation is weird, it seems to work.
>My aol-Internet-browser-eMail-Icon, I called QumwI'

maj. vIparHa'!

>and for shut down computer I got mev De'wI'

mev means stop in the sense of cease or bring to an end. (bIjatlh 'e' yImev!)
But Shut Down Computer feels like a command given to the computer, and that
would be De'wI' mev. I used Clipped Klingon because we use it with pets, which
are a little more sentient than a Mac or PC.

>Can I say for my "Imersion Studies": tlhIngan Hol HaDmey

Well, you can, but it would be wrong! :0) HaD is a verb. Maybe paQDI'norgh
(teachings) but prob. not SoQ (lecture). If I understood exactly what this
study entailed, I could be of more help.

>---HIja', but what time should I take to calculate? cet or Eastern Time?----
>>qaSDI' wej rep, chay' HovjajmeylIj DaghItlh?
>Sorry, but I don't understand that klingon thing up there...?!
>(When happens three hours, how your stardate You write it?) (?)

Hivqa' veqlargh! Erase rep - put in DIS! Now the sentence (correctly) reads

qaSDI' wej DIS, chay' *Hovjaj*meylIj DaghItlh?

Your definitions are all correct (except you missed the plural on stardate).
Now figure out the grammar! Hint - The first verb has a stated subject and no
object. The second verb has an unstated subject and a stated object.
yImughqa'!

Qermaq

Back to archive top level