tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 17 15:01:21 1997

Re: Smile (n)

: >> Is there a word for the name: smile ? I tried: HaghlaH'ghargh or
: >> Haghpu'ghargh. I was looking for a good translation for:
: >> >{{{:-) (Klingon' smile)
:
: The Klingon verb for smile is {mon}, that's right, (The Klingon Way, p167:
: pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'.).
: But {mon} as a noun means Capital (of a country).
: So what would be the noun of smile? could it be something like {monghach} ?
:
: muHwI'

I'll leave it for SuStel to discuss the finer points of {-ghach} when he
returns from qep'a' loSDIch. But I will say that, to me at least, the need
for such a noun seems so un-Klingon. What are you trying to translate that
you can't say using the verb?

Okrand has discussed what he considers the Klingon attitude to this cloying
human facial expression:

"To a Klingon, a smile signals not only contentment, satisfaction, and good
humor, but also complacency, the feeling that all is well."  (TKW p. 167)

pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'.
Don't trust those who frequently smile. (TKW)

"[{mon}] also means things like `snarl' and `smirk.' I wouldn't be surprised
to find a Klingon {mon} and growl at the same time, but {mon} by itself
doesn't describe the full growling experience." (MO on the MSN BBS)

Come to think of it, does tlhIngan Hol have ANY nouns for facial
expressions, gestures, or body language of any kind?

Voragh

Back to archive top level