tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 21 15:15:01 1997

Re: jIH toDwI'

[email protected] on behalf of Donald E. Vick wrote:
> Ok, since this is specifically no longer KLBC, I'll have a go at it. :)
>
> ghItlh [email protected]:
> > Greetings from Holodeck Two;
> > I am translating my Icons on my Windows-Desktop.

This has been done many times before.  You might benefit from a look through
the archives on this topic.

> > qI'meywIj vImughtaH
>
>      According to TKD, {qI'} is a verb, not a noun.  Try {per}, or maybe
> {Degh}.  The {vImughtaH} is correct, and the suffices on {qI'meywIj} are
> correct.

It might be better as {vImughlI'}, since the goal involved is to translate all
of the desktop icons.

> > Can I say jIH toDwI' as Screensaver?
>
>      Yes.
>
> > For Programs I said ghunghachmey...
>
>      This is not good.  It is not quite correct to use {-ghach} on a verb
> without any other suffix.  It is understandable, but weird, as if you
> called them "programmagenesses" in English.

Who says you need a noun, anyway?  You might rename "Programs" to {yIlo'} "use
it."  Better yet, {lo'}, a clipped command "use it!" or a noun "use."  Or how
about {chu'} "activate"?  {tagh} "initiate"?  There are lots of other
possibilities.

> > My aol-Internet-browser-eMail-Icon, I called QumwI'
>
>      maj.
>
> > and for shut down computer I got mev De'wI'
>
>      {mev} means "stop, cease".  This could mean it froze up, or that
> you just stopped a program.  This is a personal opinion, but I would
> think that something like {chu'Ha'} (deactivate) would be simpler, and
> then you would have to move {De'wI'} to the object position:  {De'wI'
> chu'Ha'}.

Who's doing the deactivating?  If you don't know, you need {-lu'}:

De'wI' chu'Ha'lu'
Computer deactivated.

> > Can I say for my "Imersion Studies": tlhIngan Hol HaDmey
>
>      Again, {HaD} is a verb, not a noun.  You can say {tlhIngan Hol
> HadmeH ghItlhmey} - "writings for the purpose of studying Klingon
> language".

Again, there's no reason this *has* to be a noun; you might say {tlhIngan Hol
yIHaD} "Study Klingon!"  You might say {tlhIngan Hol paQDI'norgh} "Klingon
Language teachings."  And once more, there are lots of other options.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level