tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 17 11:40:03 1997

Re: klinzhai.ttf = pIqaD ?

At 01:57 PM 7/16/97 -0700, muHwI' wrote:

>I found a TrueTypeFont somewhere on the internet that sort of looks like the
>Klingon writing system, and I can even see some similarities with the one in
>the KLI homepage. But, most of them are mirrored or upside down. I attached
>the file to this mail, so you can see it. (22 KB)
>
>Does anybody know another TTF File that shows the pIqaD ?

I'll respond to this since the more regular contributers are away at qep'a'.
First,
there is no _official_ pIqaD at all.  The Klinzhai font you mention was composed
by Dr. Schoen of the KLI years ago.  The font you can get from the KLI, which is
sometimes called KLIpIqaDmey, was also written by him.  This latter font is
closely
mapped to the sounds of Klingon, and is often used in fandom as the "real"
pIqaD.  I think that Okuda on the ST shows also uses at least a version of this
font.  I guess all these other fonts you can find are either rip-offs of one
of these two, or made by the poster (as is the case with my "block" pIqaD font).

The point is that all of these fonts are _fan_ material.  Okrand has never
endorsed one or shown how it really maps to the sounds of Klingon, and they've
never been consistent in their use on the ST shows (if those writings in
pIqaD on
the tv screen seem to be gibberish, well, that's because it is).  We in the
Klingon language community sometimes use the KLIpIqaDmey version (Glen Proechel
of the ILS more often than the KLI), but this is just for fun, and has no
official standing.  That being the case, you're free to use any "Klingon" font
you find to write in, but be aware that our use of it could be proved wrong by
Okrand at any moment.

(Isn't this stuff all in the FAQ?)

>muHwI'
>Hovjaj 97538.8