tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 15 06:01:17 1997

Re: KLBC:to

[email protected] on behalf of William  Cody wrote:
> What suffix or worf order

Just how many Worfs do you know?  :)

> would mean something like "to" or "at" something?
> For instance, how would I say "The chef speaks to the Captain"?  All I can
> come up with is <HoD jatlh-? lupwI'>  How ould I do that?

Take a look at TKD section 3.2.5.  Read up on the Type 5 noun suffixes.

In Klingon, {-Daq} is used for a locative, purely in a spatial sense.  {-vo'}
is like {-vaD}, but in the other direction.  {-vaD} is used to indicate the
beneficiary of an action, and the indirect object.

So, "The chef speaks to the captain" comes out as

HoDvaD jatlh vutwI'

Something like "The chef walks to the captian" would be

HoDDaq yIt vutwI'

because now the captain is not the beneficiary of any action (speaking), he's
simply the location to which the chef is walking.

We also have

HoDvo' yIt vutwI'
The chef walks away from the captain.

--