tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 19:42:13 1997

Re: Space Cadets

[email protected] on behalf of Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> Krankor's
> citation of "ghe''orDaq luSpet" for type-5-modified nouns modifying other
> nouns is hard to argue with, but it has it *before* the modificand.

ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'

Krankor says this isn't

ghe''orDaq [luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'],

but I don't see why it can't be.  If we can accept something like {reH DIvI'
Duj vISuv vIneH}, where the {reH} seems to be way out of place, and for those
who like charghwI''s previous suggestion that there's no difference in meaning
between that and {DIvI' Duj vISuv reH vIneH}, then why can't this simply be
seen as

[Your location is a black hole] in the Netherworld

instead of

Your location is [a black hole in the Netherworld].

Looks like they *mean* exactly the same thing, only one is definitely right
and the other requires the assumption that Type 5'd noun-nouns are allowed.
In either one, the outcome is that you're inside a black hole, and that black
hole is in the Netherworld.

(Not to mention that there are extremely simple and grammatical ways to say
all of those other sentences he uses as examples.  And "man of in-the-moon"
DOES make sense; it's just not allowed.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level