tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 12 18:32:43 1997

Re: KLIBG: I need some help with a tato

For questions for the Beginners' Grammarian, please use the abbreviation KLBC
in the subject line!

[email protected] on behalf of Tomwhore wrote:

> I need some help wiht this, seeing as how I willbe living with the outcome
> for the rest of my days.

A tattoo!  Yeah, I'd better help you with this one!

> Basicaly its a celebration and a reminder of some changes Ive been going
> thru recetly. I want it in tlhingan to realt drive the point home.
>
> the gist of what i want on my tato is "I honor myself". The english is not
> strong enough to get the full forceof it.
>
> So far I have come up with this
>
>                        jIquv'eghmoHtAh
>
> I cause myself honor (constantly)
>
> basicaly that I cuase myself honor continusly.

> Is this on the right track

It's on the right track.  You've spelled it wrong.  In our romanized font,
it's spelled (all letters with the following capitalization):

jIquv'eghmoHtaH

The meaning is exactly right.

> Also, im planning on having it done in pIqaD.

Warning!  The {pIqaD} used by the KLI is NOT the official Klingon writing
system!  There may never be one, or Okrand may finally be allowed to develop
one someday.

Since the KLI {pIqaD} is not the "real" one, a lot of us don't read it very
well.  You should have seen a group of us at last year's {qep'a'}, trying to
read the {pIqaD} lettering on one participant's shirt ("That's an "r," right?
No, it's a "p" . . . The shirt turned out to be a Klingon translation of the
poem in the beginning of The Lord of the Rings).

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level