tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 12 18:06:09 1997

RE: Saj, 'ay' wa'DIch

According to Will Martin:

The situation was difficult. They didn't think THAT.
They didn't think that the situation was difficult.

The situation was difficult. They didn't consider THAT.
They didn't consider that the situation was difficult.

Now, I'm tending to favor your suggestion, SuStel. I'd even
consider {Har} a better choice than {qel}. Using {qel} does
sound like they failed to factor in difficulty of the
situation, rather than that they believed that the situation
was normal or even easy.
Your interpretation of <qel> describes how the family felt.  In fact, their
lives were difficult, but since that was all they were used to, they did not
think it to be the case.  I think this means that I missed the mark when I
tried to describe the family's situation.  So if the preceeding sentences in
the story made this clear, would you accept the use of <qel>?

SanDar

Back to archive top level