tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 12 12:27:00 1997

Re: KLBC:Intermidiate Sentences

[email protected] on behalf of William  Cody wrote:

> SuStel:
> I understand about possives now.  One question.  You said:
> <{pagh} doesn't work like a verb, it works like a number.  It's "zero".>
> I was using <pagh> as "none".  It's a noun, but can be used as a verb, I
> think.  To say:"qochHom pagh vIghaj" could be "I have no(none) partner".
> Am I wrong??

Yes, you're wrong.

You must first reread section 5.2 of TKD.  Since {pagh} is a number, you get
the following:

pagh qoch vIghaj
I have zero partners.

qoch pagh vIghaj
I have partner number zero.

I choose to use "zero" to translate, because it is smoother in English.
However, I'd translate {pagh} as "none" if I were to use this word in its noun
form.  When used as such, it's a pure noun.

1) yIH 'ar Dalegh?
"How many tribble do you see?"

2) pagh vIlegh.
"I see none."