tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 17:16:20 1997

Re: Space Cadets

I'm following up to my own posting so I can pick apart the text.
This is from the British channel 4 Space Cadet webpage.  Don't know
where they got it.

& meHmeyDaq tIjaH
Man the bridges
Go to the bridges
Nothing unusual.

& ghotpu' noyqu' qIbmey jojvo' DIyu'taHvIS
I missed a word.  This is:
ghotpu' noyqu' yabDu' qIbmey jojvo' DIyu'taHvIS
As we probe the intergalactic minds of a host of stars.
As we interrogate the minds of very famous people from the area
between the galaxies.
If this is canon:
<romuluS DujDaq> means "in the Romulan ship" or "the Romulan in
the ship."
chegh yIH mIvDaq
- The cat in the hat came back.
yIH mIvDaq latlh yIH mIvDaq tu'lu'
-There is another cat in the hat in the cat's hat.

& QeDlut ngoDHommey DISammeH
In search of science fiction trivia
In order that we find science story factoids
Terrific translation.
<QeDlut> A compound for science fiction, not that it wasn't obvious
and probably already used on this list.

& Daq not SuchtaHboghDaq Dol val latlh'e'
Bah.  I mistyped this, too.  Should be Suchta'boghDaq. The stops were
unreadable smears on my screen.
Where no other intelligent lifeform has gone before.
In the place which another intelligent entity has never visited.
Three things here:
* the adverb placement after the object of the clause
can't guess a reason for that
* the placement of latlh *after* the noun modified
maybe it's a floor wax *and* a dessert topping.  Maybe it just
doesn't matter.
*an N5 suffix on -bogh to make the whole clause locative.
This is beautiful.  Simple, unambiguous. But it's not quite ship in
which he fled, is it?  You can see what a hurry I was in to get this
up.  Post first, think later. :)
But it would be useful:
ghot DImuSboghvo' - from the people we hate
yIH Sopta'bogh'e' targh'e' ghajbogh tlhIngan vIlegh - I see the
targ the Klingon has that ate the tribble.
(Cool. It's harder to understand in English.)

& batlh majaHtaHvIS
Boldly going
While we go with honour.

& logh ghuvpu' qo' wIchenmoHmeH
Creating a world of space cadets
To create a world of space recruits

& ra'wI' jIH
I'm the commander

& Sum cha' HoDpu' yoH tu'lu'
Flanked by a couple of sturdy captains
be near there is two brave captains
Hmm.  Sum looks like a noun here.

& 'ej Hogh Hoch nughom lalDanHommey nIv ngo'
Grin. If it's canon we could stop saying Ybogh X Z when we want to
say that X is both Y and Z.  And here's the roving Hoch. There are
words in English that have shades of meaning depending on where they
are.  It could be.

I really think this is Okrand.  It's too good a combination of
understanding the existing rules and doing things completely
forbidden by them to be someone making weird mistakes.  And there's
that plural tu'lu' again.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level