tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 16:02:21 1997

Re: Space Cadets

& Has any one in the UK seen the recent adverts for a series called
& "Space Cadets" - they are spoken in Klingon. It is presented by Greg
& Proops with Craig Charles and some other guy, and the first guest
& appears to be William Shatner. I haven't looked over the
& tlhingan-Hol but it can be found at:
&
& http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/spacecadets
&
& (keep clicking on the pictures that come up!)

This is *very* interesting.  It's clearly been translated by a
skilled Klingonist, who tried to explain pronunciation, but then
presented by someone who didn't know which parts meant what. There
are some blatant contradictions with TKD in the stress indications.
It has a simple answer to the "ship in which he fled," an ugly
solution to "cat in the hat," and a new wrinkle for Hoch. It's also
in a close to unreadable font.  I'll try to transcribe it:

meHmeyDaq tIjaH ghotpu' noyqu' qIbmey jojvo' DIyu'taHvIS QeDlut
ngoDHommey DISammeH Daq not SuchtaHboghDaq Dol val latlh'e' batlh
majaHtaHvIS logh ghuvpu' qo' wIchenmoHmeH

ra'wI' jIH Sum cha' HoDpu' yoH tu'lu' 'ej Hogh Hoch nughom
lalDanHommey nIv ngo'

The following translations are matched up with the text, often the
wrong bits of text, and there are explanations to pronunciation.  I'm
not going to type it all in.

1. Man the bridges
2. As we probe the intergalactic minds
3. Of a host of stars
4. Boldly going
5. Where no other intelligent lifeform
6. Has gone before
7. On a quest for sci-fi trivia
8. Creating a world of space cadets
9. I'm the commander
10. Flanked by a couple of sturdy captains.
11. And each week joined
12. By some cool old cults.

It's really an excellent translation of the English text, as good as
I could do.  If it *wasn't* done by MO, I want to meet the one who
did it.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level