tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 10 14:42:26 1997

Re: Saj, 'ay' wa'DIch

According to David Trimboli:

> [email protected] on behalf of Deborah Kay wrote:
> >  Qatlh ghu' 'e' luqelbe'.
>
> This ends up meaning, "They do not consider the fact that the situation is
> difficult."  You need {Qub}:
>
> Qatlh ghu' 'e' luQubbe'.

I'm tempted to disagree. When I read it and your translation,
it feels like you've inserted the "the fact" for no reason
and it would not be equally valid and useless if applied to
{Qub}. Meanwhile, our quote from Okrand on this is:

) All four words asked about (tul "hope," Qub "think," Sov
) "know," and SIv "wonder") can be used in the construction S 'e'
) V, where S is a sentence, 'e' is the pronoun ("that") which
) refers to a previous topic (in this case S), and V is one of
) the verbs listed above (as well as some others).

So, we know {Qub} works in this construction and we can't be
sure about {qel} yet. So, I look closer and break it down to
the literal translations:

The situation was difficult. They didn't think THAT.
They didn't think that the situation was difficult.

The situation was difficult. They didn't consider THAT.
They didn't consider that the situation was difficult.

Now, I'm tending to favor your suggestion, SuStel. I'd even
consider {Har} a better choice than {qel}. Using {qel} does
sound like they failed to factor in difficulty of the
situation, rather than that they believed that the situation
was normal or even easy.
> > po' 'eq
>
> Since the Power Klingon examples of {'eq} and {paS} are "she is early" and "he
> is late" respectively, I believe that these refer to being ahead of schedule
> or behind schedule.  Perhaps these could stretch over to being just after dawn
> or just before it, as they do in English.
>
> This could be {taghDI' jaj}.

True. Meanwhile, it does look like an adjectival verb, and this
really feels like a valid use of it. When applied to a living
being, I agree that it would tend to refer to a reference to a
schedule, but when applied to an event with a duration, I'd
expect it to refer to the portion of that duration closer to
the beginning of the event. {po 'eq} fits this nicely.
Unfortunately, SanDar misspelled {po} and I think you and I
both missed it. As it is, she just said, "He is skilled. He is
early."

> maj.  loDHom vIparHa'.  <jISaHbe'.  vIneHqu'.>

[jIHaghqu'!] Great comment.

It has been a while since I've praised your tenacity in facing
the huge volume of beginner contributions with such an
impressive quality of commentary and assistance. batlh
bIvangtaH.

> --
> SuStel                                       -- qoH vuvbe' SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian
> Stardate 97522.1

charghwI'

Back to archive top level