tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 15:40:11 1997

Re: KLBC: qIm/qImHa'

[email protected] on behalf of Qermaq wrote:

> ghItlh charghwI':
> >taj lo'laH vIlo'laH. "I can use the valuable knife."
>
> nuQaH vuDlIj 'ej qatlho'. DaH rut vuDlIj vIHon 'e' vIQIjneS.
>
> I fully agree that lo'laH = be valuable (v) is an unusual construction. It
> can
> mean "it can use it" or "it is valuable" - but context will usually help us.

> But -- vIlo'moHlaH = "I cause it to be useable." And, according to
> suffix-order advice I recieved here not long ago, it also is "I cause it to
> be
> valuable." Not quite the same.

Where charghwI' says {vIlo'laH}, he is using {vI-} plus {lo'} plus {-laH}, "I
can use it."  Where he has {lo'laH}, he is using it as an adjectival verb, as
it seems to be listed as in the dictionary.

taj lo'laH
valuable knife

vIlo'laH
I can use it