tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 19:29:42 1997

Re: KLBC: qIm/qImHa'

jIghItlh 'ej ghItlh ~mark:

>>TKD shows pegh = keep something secret (v). To write the above sentence, I
>>would choose nab peghlu'bogh vISov = I know a plan which is kept secret.
>Where
>>is there a canonical use of pegh = be secret (v)?
>
>{De' pegh Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'}, secrecy proverb.
>
>Hmm. I wonder if that's not an idiomatic N-N construction? Not "secret
>information" but "the secret of some information", used idiomatically.
>We've long considered it a verb, though. Maybe we should re-think it.
>Then again, that would require postulating N-N constructions used for this
>sort of idiom, which may be a big step (It does happen in Hebrew though.
>Things like "`ayin hara`" for "the evil eye." If it were an adjective it
>should be "`ayin hara`ah" since "eye" is feminine. It actually is a
>slightly irregular N-N construction for "eye of evil" (it *should* be "`eyn
>hara`"). There are quite a few other idioms like this).

I remember that piece of canon now. It confused me - that's the only time it
is found, and it is a 'stock phrase' - I would bet that it is an idiom and
nothing more. In fact, the last time I looked, *pegh = be secret (v) (int) is
not on the New Words list, so charghwI' had not found it official enough
either. I suggest we keep to TDK on this one - pegh = keep something secret
(v) (t).

Qermaq

Back to archive top level