tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 01 17:30:00 1997

RE: Words I Need

[email protected] on behalf of Scott Inman wrote:

> Can someone please give me the proper tlhIgan translations for the following
> words?:

Almost all of the words you list are in TKD.

> 1.)  My Lord

{joHwI'} or {jawwI'}.

> 2.)		Doctor

Qel

> 3.)		Commander

{ra'wI'} or {la'}.  My opinion is that {ra'wI'} refers to anyone who is in
command, whatever his rank, and {la'} refers to the actual rank.

> 4.)		Ensign

lagh

> 5.)		Lieutenant Junior Grade

We don't have this one.  Perhaps adding the Type 1 noun suffix {-Hom}
"diminutive" would do the trick (or else, perhaps there is no equivalent
Klingon rank):  {SoghHom}

> 6.)		Lieutenant

Sogh

> 7.)		Lieutenant Commander

We also don't have this one.  Perhaps {Sogh'a'} or maybe {la'Hom}, or maybe
there is no such rank.

> 8.) 	Chief

Hmmm . . . we haven't got one for this.  Perhaps {chamwI'} "technician" is
what you're looking for.

Please note that the rank comes *after* the Klingon's name.  (eg. {wo'rIv
Sogh} "Lieutenant Worf")

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian