tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 01 19:58:34 1997

Re: Words I Need

     I've done some Klingon roleplay on MUSH's and such, and I can
give you what we used.  (In case you want to know, I was wIvqu' HoD,
commander of IMC ramjep, Member of the Council of Elders, and Minister
of Linguistic and Cultural Affairs on TrekMUSH: Among the Stars.)

David Trimboli wrote:
> [email protected] on behalf of Scott Inman wrote:
>
> > 3.)		Commander
>
> {ra'wI'} or {la'}.  My opinion is that {ra'wI'} refers to anyone who is in
> command, whatever his rank, and {la'} refers to the actual rank.

     This is what we did.  {la'} was a rank, and {ra'wI'} was a
position.  Usually the {ra'wI'} of a vessel was second in command.

> > 5.)		Lieutenant Junior Grade
>
> We don't have this one.  Perhaps adding the Type 1 noun suffix {-Hom}
> "diminutive" would do the trick (or else, perhaps there is no equivalent
> Klingon rank):  {SoghHom}

     This is good.  I have seen it used a lot.

> > 7.)           Lieutenant Commander
>
> We also don't have this one.  Perhaps {Sogh'a'} or maybe {la'Hom}, or maybe
> there is no such rank.

     We used {la'Hom}.

> > 8.)   Chief
>
> Hmmm . . . we haven't got one for this.  Perhaps {chamwI'} "technician" is
> what you're looking for.

     We used {pIn}.

wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |