tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 29 21:21:20 1997

RE: Klingon Honor

|January 27, 1997 1:21 PM, jatlh ~mark:
|
|>>He was really trying to come up for a word for discommendation,
|>>which was used in The Next Generation, and invented {quv} as both
|>>a noun and a verb so that he could say {quvHa'ghach}.
|>
|> But "discommendation" is "naDHa'ghach".
|
|Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'!!!
|
|Oh, dear.

Ah! Perfect use of a quvqa'meH vIttlhegh (if you'll pardon the expression)!

|Well, okay, maybe he was thinking of "dishonor"!  (I don't know what made me
|do that!)  The rest of my speculation still stands.  :)
|--
|SuStel

quvHa'ghach actually debuted in TKW. But you're right about quv being an
afterthought. quv = "honor" (n.) and "be honored" (v.), as well as all of
its compounds (la'quv, ra'ghomquv, yejquv), appear in the 1992 Addendum to
TKD. (yejquv is *heard* for the first time on CK.) Okrand probably needed
it to come up with words for the first couple of seasons of TNG and was
trying to avoid overusing batlh.

Voragh

Back to archive top level