tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 29 20:19:08 1997

Re: Stomp Box

ghItlh Thornton Rose <[email protected]>

> I think that my previous message on this subject may have gone to the
> bit bucket. So, I am posting it again. If my previous message did get
> to the list, then ignore this message.
>
> Here is my attempt at a translation of the song "Stomp Box" (with
> the original text and some corrections based on feedback from SuStel).
> Please critique.

Just a couple of points

> "Stomp Box"
> by They Might Be Giants
>
> *Stomp Box* qechwIj yIjatlh       | Stomp Box speak my thought
> ramvo' ghoghmeyvetlh yIyIb        | Vent these voices from the dark

TKD has *yIb* as a noun only.

> jach jach jach jach               | Shout Shout Shout Shout
> 'oH yIjach                        | Scream it out
> ghItlhlIj yIQaw'                  | Blast your missive
> mu'mey ghajbe'bogh Qumghach yIja' | Tell the wordless message

We're not supposed to use *ghach* on non-suffixed verbs, so*Qumghach* would
be taboo.  You might try avoiding using a noun here all together.  For
example:

	 	bIQumDI' mu'mey tIlo'Qo'

		"When you communicate don't use words."

> *Stomp Box* mach                  | Little Stomp Box
> tIqwIjvo' 'oH yIluH               | tear it from my heart
> *Stomp Box* ghum ghogh            | Stomp Box, voice of fear
> qoghwIjDaq tar yIchagh            | pour the poison in my ear
> HoH HoH HoH HoH                   | Kill Kill Kill Kill
> DaH HIHoH                         | Kill me now
> veqlargh yItlhabmoH               | Free the demon
> jachtaHghach mevbogh yIQoy        | Hear the ceaseless screaming

	What you have written, in this last line actually means "Hear the
screaming which stops.", the opposite of what you mean.  You should say:

		jachtaHghach mevbe'bogh yIQoy

> *Stomp Box* mach                  | Little Stomp Box
> tIqwIjvo' yIluH                   | tear it from my heart

Dajbej bomvam.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level