tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 29 15:28:40 1997

RE: Phrases

January 29, 1997 9:26 AM, jatlh T'Lark:

> >> jImuSHa'pu' 'ej jIlujpu' 'e' vImaS. not jImuSHa'pu 'e' vImaSbe'.
> >> [Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved.]  [...]
>
> My entry:
>
> muSHa'lu'chugh 'ach lujlu'chugh, ghu' QaQ law'; not muSHa'lu'chugh, ghu' QaQ
> puS.

Not bad, although I don't know if it's legal to stick conditionals in the
middle of a law'/puS sentence.  But you've given me an idea:

muSHa'lu' 'ej lujlu', pagh, not muSHa'lu'.  ghu' wa'DIch QaQ law' ghu'
cha'DIch QaQ puS.

It's still very awkward, but it get the job done.

How about a complete rework:

muSHa'lu' 'ej lujlu'.  ghu'vam lajlu'.

This doesn't mean the same thing, of course, but it certainly sounds much
nicer!

> One could replace {ghu' QaQ} with something more specific, such as {yIn mIp}
> (although {mIp} may not carry the same figurative meanings in Klingon that
it
> does in English).

Maybe not, but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch.

> > Maybe we can start adding more instances of {parmaq}, when it's a
> > noun . . .
>
> Don't forget the 'aggressive overtones'.  {parmaq vaQHa'}, perhaps -- an
> un-Klingonish phrase, but ethereal love is probably an un-Klingonish
emotion.

What's wrong with "aggressive overtones"?  We're not doing a play for humans,
we're doing a play for Klingons!  Not only is the language translated, but
certain concepts.  {Hamet} takes place on {Qo'noS}, for example.  And Klingons
like their love as they like their battle!  (Or so we're led to believe . . .)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level