tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 29 08:36:29 1997

Re: KLBC: Phrases

'Iwvan wrote:
:David Trimboli wrote:
:> January 28, 1997 5:48 AM EST, jatlh Perry J. Brulotte:
:> > [If war is costly and war is hell then hell must be costly.]
:>
:> waghchugh noH 'ej ghe'or 'oHchugh noH'e', vaj waghnIS ghe''or.
:
:_tKD_ 4.2.2 implies that the Type 2 verbal suffixes indicate deontic
:modality (the need for, or desirability of, an event); here the _must_
:performs an alethic function (`it follows that hell is costly' rather
:than `hell needs to be costly').  Unless there is precedent for such
:use of {-nIS}, I suggest using {-law'} or nothing at all.

[Qu'vatlh! jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch narghlaw'ta'.  Let's try it again!]

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you're trying to make. Here are
all the attestation of -nIS I could find in canon. Is there a "precedent for
such use of {-nIS}"?

 - vIleghnIS I need to see him. TKD
 - vISopnIS You need to eat. TKD
 - De''e' vItlhapnISpu' I needed to get the INFORMATION. It was the
information (and not something else) I needed. TKD
 - lupwI' DalIghnIS You must ride the jitney. CK
 - tIqlIj Da'angnIS You must show your heart. PK
 - DaH jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH I must wash my hair now. PK
 - DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS Attack them now, while we still can! ST6
 - poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'. chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI' The
initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9
 - mataHmeH maSachnIS To survive, we must expand. TKW
 - pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS If you want to eat
pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW
 - bISutlhnISchugh jaghlI' mInDu' tIbej If you must negotiate, watch your
enemy's eyes. TKW
 - nIteb SuvnIS DevwI' A leader must stand alone ("A leader must fight
alone"). TKW
 - ghob tIvnISbe'lu' One need not enjoy virtue [tIvnISbe' "does not need to
enjoy" vs. tIvbe'nIS "needs to not enjoy"] TKW
 - bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS To really succeed, you must enjoy
eating poison. TKW
 - tIqwIj Sa'angnIS I must show you my heart. TKW
 - yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu' Survival must be earned. TKW
 - yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu' Victory must be earned. TKW
 - batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay' An honorable death requires no
vengeance. TKW

Voragh

Back to archive top level