tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 29 06:15:35 1997

RE: KLBC: Phrases

jatlh SuStel:

> [...] jatlh Perry J. Brulotte:
[...]
>> jImuSHa'pu' 'ej jIlujpu' 'e' vImaS. not jImuSHa'pu 'e' vImaSbe'.
>> [Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved.]  [...]

> "I have loved, and I prefer that I have failed.  I do not prefer that I have
> never loved."

[...]

> Hmmm . . . were you trying to say "I prefer that I have loved and I have
> lost"?  We have no evidence that you can do this, but it's not impossible.  I
> rather doubt it, though.  You can cheat, though:

> jImuSHa'pu' 'ej jIlujpu'.  ghu'vam vImaS.  not jImuSHa'pu'.  ghu'vam vImaSbe'.

> It's pretty clunky.  Anyone got a better one?

My entry:

muSHa'lu'chugh 'ach lujlu'chugh, ghu' QaQ law'; not muSHa'lu'chugh, ghu' QaQ
puS.

One could replace {ghu' QaQ} with something more specific, such as {yIn mIp}
(although {mIp} may not carry the same figurative meanings in Klingon that it
does in English).

> Maybe we can start adding more instances of {parmaq}, when it's a
> noun . . .

Don't forget the 'aggressive overtones'.  {parmaq vaQHa'}, perhaps -- an
un-Klingonish phrase, but ethereal love is probably an un-Klingonish emotion.

T'Lark

Back to archive top level