tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 26 21:11:09 1997

Re: Beginner

> > che'wI' Hurgh
> >
> > Is this a close approximation of "Prince of Darkness"?
>
> Actually, it means "dark ruler."  Good job using {che'wI'} for a person
who
> rules (although it's more generic than "prince," which is usually
considered
> to be the son of a king).  But {Hurgh} is a verb, and when a verb follows
> noun, it acts like an adjective.  So, saying {che'wI' Hurgh} is
describing the
> ruler as dark.
>
> Unfortunately, there's no easy word for "darkness" (some might suggest
> {HurghtaHghach}, but believe me, it's a pretty lousy substitute; read TKD

> section 4.2.9 in the Addendum and Okrand's interview in HolQeD 3:3 if
you've
> got a copy).

If I might make a suggestion, "darkness" here refers to "evil".  Thus it
would seem to me that it would be appropriate to use *mIgh* here.  An
example of something similar is *maQmIgh* which means "Dark Omen".  As for
prince, the KSRP version of Hamlet uses *ta' puqloD* (Son of the Emperor).
So *qo' mIgh ta' puqloD* (Prince of the evil world) would be a possibility
for "prince of darkness"

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level