tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 22:38:38 1997

RE: KLBC: Pulp, etc.

January 24, 1997 11:04 PM EST, jatlh [email protected]:

> My first try at translation...
>
> In this scene, <jules> has just told <ringo> a parable in which "the weak"
is beset by the "shadow
> of evil", and saved by "the protector". <jules> has a weapon pointed at
<ringo>, but does not kill
> him. Instead, he brings home the parable:

Whoah there, Tex!  This is your first attempt at translation into Klingon, and
you choose this?  Even *I* have to take a breath before jumping into this
stuff!  Maybe you should try something a little easier, first.  But, just in
case you *really* want to see my response . . .

> pujwI' SoH... 'ej mIgh QIb jIH.  'ach jInIDlI', <ringo>, QanwI' jIH 'e'
vInIDqu'lI'.

> (Based on Pulp Fiction: "You're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men.
But I'm trying, Ringo,
> I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.")

{pujwI' SoH} is all right.  But then we have a problem.  "I'm the tyranny of
evil men."  I don't see how you got {mIgh QIb jIH} "I shadow is evil" (sort
of).  What's "tyranny"?  It's rulership and control, using harsh or brutal
methods (that's a DAT description!).  My best attempt at this sentence at this
late hour would be a weird one:

pujwI' SoH . . . 'ej nuv SeHchu'ghach mIgh jIH.

The rest is acceptable, I think.

> Is there a better (more appropriate) structure for "the Weak", as a stylized
character in a
> fable/myth/parable? I don't want to say that Ringo is actually a 98-pound
weakling.

No, not that I know of.

> In a magazine article referencing the Klingon language, it is mentioned that
the Sesame Street
> verse "Sunny day, chasing the clouds away" can be translated (from literal
Klingon) as "Day of the
> daytime star; the clouds are filled with dread and forced to flee". Perhaps
an irresponsible
> translation, but how would one say "Day of the.....forced to flee"? My
attempt:

> pemHov jaj; 'engmey tebmoHpu' Haj 'ej Haw' 'e' raD
>
> I get this by way of [Dread fills the clouds] 'ej [[They flee] 'e' [It wants
it]]
> Thanks for the help!!

I think I've seen this before!  I don't like it.

{Haj} is a verb.

First, your sentence, even assuming you can use {Haj} as a noun (which you
can't), says, "Dread has caused the clouds to fill and it forced that they
flee."

If I were to translate the Sesame Street song's first line, I'd say:

wovqu' jaj.  chal lammoH 'engmey 'ej wISay'choHmoH.
The day is bright.  The clouds dirty the sky and we begin to clean it.

This is a very technical translation.  If I were to translate it for
*singing*, I'd say

wovqu' jaj.
chal 'engmey DIteqjaj!

The day is bright.
May we remove the sky's clouds!

Not a literal translation, but it's got the correct number and placement of
syllables, and it rhymes!

Please, start with something simpler!

--
SuStel