tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 19:56:52 1997

KLBC: Pulp, etc.

My first try at translation...

In this scene, <jules> has just told <ringo> a parable in which "the weak" is beset by the "shadow
of evil", and saved by "the protector". <jules> has a weapon pointed at <ringo>, but does not kill
him. Instead, he brings home the parable:

pujwI' SoH... 'ej mIgh QIb jIH.  'ach jInIDlI', <ringo>, QanwI' jIH 'e' vInIDqu'lI'.

(Based on Pulp Fiction: "You're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo,
I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.")

Is there a better (more appropriate) structure for "the Weak", as a stylized character in a
fable/myth/parable? I don't want to say that Ringo is actually a 98-pound weakling.

***

In a magazine article referencing the Klingon language, it is mentioned that the Sesame Street
verse "Sunny day, chasing the clouds away" can be translated (from literal Klingon) as "Day of the
daytime star; the clouds are filled with dread and forced to flee". Perhaps an irresponsible
translation, but how would one say "Day of the.....forced to flee"? My attempt:

pemHov jaj; 'engmey tebmoHpu' Haj 'ej Haw' 'e' raD

I get this by way of [Dread fills the clouds] 'ej [[They flee] 'e' [It wants it]]
Thanks for the help!!

Qapla'

Back to archive top level