tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 15:06:40 1997

RE: KLBC

January 23, 1997 11:19 PM EST, jatlh Gerald Borleis:

> naDev bIvumbe'chugh
> If you are not employed here.

Just remember that this is not a complete sentence.

> As for the second line.  "You are not welcome here."
>
> naDevvo' yIgHoS
> Go away!

Be careful!  The letters of the second word are  y - I - gh - o - S.  {gh} is
a different sound than {H}, and there is not sound for {gH}.  Make sure you
capitalize this correctly!

> 'elQo'
> Do not Enter.

This would be okay as clipped Klingon, but for full Klingon, you need an
imperative prefix (TKD section 4.1.2):

yI'elQo'

> 'el cHawbe' SoH
> You are not allowed to enter.

This is a much more complicated sentence than you think.  You must carefully
study section 6.2.5 to get it right.  If you still don't want me to give away
the answer, I'll get you started.

You have two main verbs here: {'el} and {chaw'be'}.  Not only do they not have
prefixes on them (these are required, see TKD section 4.1), but you cannot
have two main verbs in one sentence.

But you can have two sentences in one!  Using sentence-as-object, you can make
the first sentence the object of the second sentence.  The first sentence is
"You enter."  The second would be "One does not permit that," where "that"
refers to the "You enter" sentence.  There, now, can you get it?

> Thank you SuStel, this has been great fun.

maj.  'ach wej Qu'lIj Dachavchu'ta'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian