tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 23 18:46:10 1997

Re: _Inferno_ 3:1-9 (Re: Translation, please comment)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Ivan A Derzhanski wrote:

|Here's my go at translating the first three tercets of _Inferno_, Canto 3.
|I've managed to get the stresses right almost everywhere (Dante's aren't
|quite so regular), but my lines are one syllable shorter than his, because
|Klingon favours masculine rhymes, just as Italian favours feminine ones.
|Comments welcome.

If you really want comments then what I said to torroS about his rendering
of They Might Be Giant's "Stomp Box" applies equally to Dante's "Inferno":
provide the original text for comparison.  Without it, we can't critique
your work as a translation; we can only evaluate it as an original
composition.  Which is an altogether different matter.

Some of the people on this list also read Italian. Providing an English
version, if you have one, would be helpful for those who can't.

Ciao,

Voragh

Back to archive top level