tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 22 14:42:29 1997

RE: am i disturbed? YEAP!

January 21, 1997 6:25 PM EST, jatlh baS'ugh:

> chay` <I'm disturbed enough> vIjatlh?
> <Don't disturb - I'm disturbed enuf> vImugh vInIDpu` (?? i don't think this
> turned out as i wanted - i meant: i tried to translate <....>)

The problem is that you need a sentence-as-object pronoun here.  Read TKD
section 6.2.5.

<Don't disturb -- I'm disturbed enough> vImugh 'e' vInID.

(Note that I removed the {-pu'}.  It isn't really necessary, but if you want
it, it cannot go on the second verb of the {-'e'} sentence:

<Don't disturb -- I'm disturbed enough> vImughpu' 'e' vInID.

> <HISujQo` - vISujlu` yap> lugh`a`?

Use the apostrophe pointing straight down (or the other way, whichever it is
on your keyboard).

The problem here is that the pun doesn't cross over from one language into
another.  I see no reason to assume that Klingons use the word {Suj} to mean
"be not quite right in the head."

Also, you cannot use verbs adverbially, as you have tried to do with {yap}.
This reads as "Someone disturbs me it is sufficient."  This makes no sense.

Finally, if you're asking "Is <...> correct?" you must make <...> the subject:

lugh'a' <...>?

I'm not going to try to translate this joke into Klingon myself, because I
can't.  The pun just doesn't make it.

> je tera`ngan <punctuation> (!?,.) tlhInganHolDaq vIlo`nIS`a` pagh
> <similars> vIlo'nIS'a'.

Please include an English translation of your sentences, until you become more
sure of your Klingon!

When using the word {je} to mean "also," it must come *after* the verb.  For
example:

Duj vIlegh.
I see the ship.

Duj vIQoy je.
I also hear the ship.

When using a locative noun (such as one with {-Daq}), it must come before any
object.  You seem to have been using an object first.

I also don't think you can use {-Daq} on {tlhIngan Hol}.  {-Daq} indicates a
spacial location, and {Hol} is not an object in space.

tlhIngan Hol ghItlhlu'taHvIS, DIvI' Hol "punctuation" vIlo'nIS'a'?
Do I need to use Federation Standard (English) punctuation while writing
Klingon sentences?

yIghItlh.  mu'tlheghmeylIj vIlaDtaHvIS, loQ ngeDchoH Qu'wIj.
Please do.  My task of reading your sentences will become a little easier.
(That's a loose translation.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian